BNP test shows a value of 52 ng/ml. Does this eliminate the possibility of heart failure?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Heart Failure
Question: Hi, I have XXXXXXX in contact with one of your doctors, ten days or so ago. I queried heart failure and have been to my doctor, who sent me for a BNP blood test. The result is 51 ng/mL and is seen as an average result. Does this eliminate heart failure or should I still have an echocardiogram? The symptoms still exist.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Negative for heart failure Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query Pro BNP test is specific for heart failure and a value of 52 ng/ml eliminates the possibility of heart failure. However you should be get an ECHO done as a lab value is never considered higher to clinical judgement. I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me. If you get list out your symptoms I can help you better I wish you good health Regards