Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
195 Doctors are Online

At what point should I seek medical attention for minor trauma injury to back? No bruise, little pain

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 115 Questions
I am just wondering at what point should I seek medical attention for a minor trauma injury to my back/kidney. I am a fit 23 year old who plays semi pro soccer. Today, I accidently took a knee or kick to the left kidney. The pain was immediately unbearable. I managed to play out the half, but could no longer kick and was struggling with most movements. The area is not bruised, but it is swollen and I have not yet noticed blood or discoloration of my urine. However the pain is unbearable. I am unable to sit up or down without excruciating pain. Once I am seated, the pain does seem to lessen to a point where I can tolerate it. However, any movement sends pain from midway up my left flank area, down my hip and leg.
Posted Thu, 6 Sep 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 2 hours later
Welcome to Healthcare magic.
I understood from your description you have had blunt trauma on the left kidney projection.
Taking in consideration your signs and symptoms with sever pain, limitation in movement, swelling, radiating pain- I can confirm that now, without delay you need medical consultation. At this point you need Urinalysis, complete blood count, Computer tomography investigation ( to clarify if you your kidney was affected and rule out any ribs fissures. ). I would advice you to stop any physical activity.
Hope this helps, if you have additional queries, don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor