Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

At age 74 have started having hot flashes. Had hysterectomy and blood test normal. Suggest?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5968 Questions
at age 74 I have started having hot flashes. never had them before... hystorectomy at age 42. all blood test have been ok
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.

It is very rare to experience hot flashes for the first time in your 70s. Less than 5 - 8 % of women experiencing menopausal symptoms present with them at this age.
That said, you may first try simple measures to alleviate hot flashes.
Dress in layered garments, so that at the first hint of a hot flash coming on, you can discard a layer or two.
Keep chilled water or ice handy.
Keep your ambient temperature cool.
Cut down on caffeine, alcohol and smoking.
Try deep breathing techniques or yoga or other recreational exercises to help you cope with the distress of hot flashes.
Certain products such as phytoestrogens, soy isoflavones, black cohosh, ginseng, vitamin E, acupuncture etc are associated with relief of symptoms, but there is no evidence based study backing these.
The ONLY evidence based therapy for recalcitrant hot flashes that do not respond to conservative measures is - systemic low dose estrogen therapy. This could be in the form of a pill, patch, spray or gel.
Please ask your doctor to rule out certain conditions such as overactive thyroid or unusual tumours like carcinoid as causes of hot flashes at your age. Only then should HRT ( hormone replacement therapy ) be prescribed.
All the best.
Please feel free to ask any follow up questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor