Asking for a friend. Does your hemoglobin drop when flying
Does your hemoglobin drop when flying in an airplane. My friend is traveling to California for lipo/fat transfer surgery which is a 4 hour flight to get a surgery. Her current hemoglobin is 15.1 and it needs to be at least 12 to get surgery. Will she need a blood transfusion?
No, she won't need any transfusion.
Hi and Welcome to Ask a Doctor service. I have read your question and here is my advice.
Flights or travel does not effect our hemoglobin level, so a four hour flight (or however long it is) would make no difference to here current hemoglobin level. And her current level is quite optimum. So there is no reason that she would need transfusion.
Our hemoglobin level is maintained and won't drop suddenly for any reason( travel, or exercise) other then significant blood loss.
Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I will be glad to answer your questions.
Dr Mahboob Ur Rahman.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Hello. In Mid-May I spent two weeks traveling in a
- I have severe insomnia . so I have taken 2
- Hello, I am trying to find how to complete sentences
- awakened dizzy this morning with a cold sweat. took my
- Would 250 mg daily of magnesium have adverse effect on
- I have been having a feeling of something moving up
- I received my MRI and MRA of both brain and
- at what low dose of predisone does your adernal glands
- blood test results how high is it when you are
- Ulcer pain keeps me from sleeping. Can I take Tylenol