Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

As sharp pain in the rib cage after sneezing or coughing. Cracked a rib? Torn cartilage?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
I was sitting up and leaning slightly to my left side. I sneezed and immediately felt a sharp "pop" of pain in my left lower rib cage. It caused me to double over. It has been about 90 minutes and it feels like a constant, dull pain/tightness. However, if I sneeze/cough or twist incorrectly, I am in immediate serious pain.

I do believe I may have cracked a rib or torn cartilage. I am an athlete with many sports-related injuries. But, I don't know what this is and I am thinking about going to the hospital.

I am a 38 yr old male, 5'7", 200lbs.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.

Rib fracture due to sneezing can occur in people who have osteoporotic bones and in elderly people. It does not look like a rib fracture in your case and can be a pulled muscle or pinched nerve. Fracture rib can occur in young men when you have a hard impact to the chest such as an elbow.

I suggest you to apply cold compresses on the area and take some anti-inflammatory pain killers like Ibuprofen after prescription from your doctor.

Give complete rest to the part and avoid doing any activity like raising your arms or twisting the body which causes any further damage. Application of topical muscle relaxants also help.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor