Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Arthritic knee, inflammation over right thumb, stiffness, joint pain, negative bone scan. Autoimmune arthritis ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 170 Questions
Does a negative bone scan except for one arthritic knee, and inflamation over rt thumb mean that you can have autoimmune arthritis? I still have am stiffness, generalized joint pain
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 5 hours later
Hello dear,

I assume that you know basics of autoimmune diseases, since your question is very straight forward. I'll revise your knowledge just to ensure that you know everything.

Autoimmune arthritis is a disease characterised by chronic inflammatory response against joints, where body is unable to distinguish between self and non self tissues. Body attacks its own normal tissue resulting in inflammation, pain, stiffness and deformity. It mainly includes Rheumatoid arthritis, Ankylosing spondylosis, Psoriatic arthritis, Sjogrens syndrome besides few more.

I also assume you have undergone other tests before undergoing bone scan to diagnose the particular variety of arthritis. If not, I suggest you do some screening blood tests like RA factor, CRP, ESR, Serum uric acid. Xray and MRI of joints involved also tell us a great deal about the condition of the joint.

One thing you must remember is that there is a difference between age related arthritis and autoimmune arthritis. Age related arthritis will occur after wear and tear of joint cartilage and synovial tissue giving rise to pain stiffness and deformity. Whereas in autoimmune type, pain will come way before you have visible changes. So if your bone scan shows a few changes it need not be conclusive. Bone scan is showing some activity positive for inflammation. That requires clinical correlation.

Your stiffness does sound like one in Rheumatoid or Ankylosing type. Visit your physician and get evaluated for these since treatment is going to be different in both.

If you have reports of previous tests and investigations please share with me for better diagnosis. You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

If you want help in understanding anything else concerning autoimmune arthritis feel free to ask. I'm available for follow up.

Good day.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor