Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Artery blockage from birth. Wants to take stemflo. Advise

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Cardiologist, Interventional
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 192 Questions
Can you be born with a crooked artery? I went to a naturalist/chiropractor/spirutual doc who said I had 75% blockage in an artery, but not a main artery. He didn't do a medical evaluation - just sat there and he measured my energy...he was free! He said I was born with this and it's not caused by diet. He further said it's not causing any harm now but if I take this product called Stemflo for 3 months it will dissolve the plaque. Is any of this true?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 18 hours later
Thank you for your query.

As a medical person, I can only tell you that rational diagnosis and treatment depend on a complete clinical evaluation including a detailed history, systematic physical examination and relevant investigations.

While there are patients who have both normal and abnormal variations in arteries and veins from birth, the fact that you have lived 51 years of your life without any major problems due to abnormal blood vessels seems to argue against a congenital abnormality.

As you grow older and due to the effect of various risk factors like Diabetes, Hypertension, abnormal cholesterol, smoking, sedentary lifestyle, etc, there may be atherosclerotic changes in the blood vessels. The treatment of this requires a complete evaluation and appropriate scientifically validated drugs tailored to your specific needs.

I am not personally aware of Stemflo, but literature suggests that it has not been approved by FDA or validated by it. It appears to be a mixture of anti-oxidants and enzymes. I am also not aware of any scientific studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals. At this moment, I am unable to recommend it medically.

I hope this clarifies your doubts. Feel free to get back to me for any further clarifications
With regards,
Dr RS Varma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Artery blockage from birth. Wants to take stemflo. Advise 23 hours later
Thank you so much for your input. Again, the only reason I went to this "healer" was because he was free. He claims to get his answers from God, or Father, as he refers to him, so I tried to go with an open mind. If I were to go and get this checked out, would I see a cardiologist or a vascular specialist? Thanks, again!
Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 1 hour later
Thank you for the reply.

Faith and spirituality are important parts of everybody's life. The positive effects of prayer are well documented.

I think that your initial evaluation should be done by your regular physician who can evaluate you thoroughly and with whom you probably already have a good rapport. Depending on the results of the evaluation, your physician should be the best person to refer you to the concerned specialty. If there are heart and coronary related issues, your cardiologist will be able to help you. If the blockage is in some other artery, a vascular specialist will treat you. It also depends on the health services in your area and the referral practice being followed there.

I hope this answers your query. If you need any further answers, you are always welcome to get back to me.
With regards,
Dr RS Varma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Artery blockage from birth. Wants to take stemflo. Advise 8 hours later
Thanks for being so kind! One more question and I'll leave you alone. When I was in the hospital of May 2010 for major depeted potassium (that's when I was finally diagnosed with hyperaldosteronism), I had an EKG and Echo...they were fine. What other tests could be performed for a blocked artery? Thanks again!!

Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 7 hours later

Thanks again for the query.

A complete physical examination with palpation of peripheral pulses and segmental BP measurement in all limbs will be an adequate screening for identifying significant blockages in arteries of the limbs and the carotid arteries.

A cardiac stress test like a treadmill test, Dobutamine stress echo or a nuclear stress test can help to identify the probability of having significant blockages in the coronary arteries that supply blood to the heart muscle.

If the stress test is positive, an angiogram can be done to identify the degree of blockage and to determine how best to get rid of the blockage.

I hope this clarifies your question. You are always welcome to ask for any further specific details that you may wish to know.

With regards,

Dr RS Varma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor