Armpits hurt while coughing, radiates down to right arm and elbow. Reasons ?

Dr. Jasvinder Singh

Posted on Fri, 6 Jul 2012 in General Health
Question: my armpits hurt when i cough and it now radiates down the right arm into my elbow. the pain feels more like a pressure and it lingers now when i am not ill. it has been happening for about a year. it is gotten stronger though and it almost feels like a string in my arm pulling tight. but like pressure in my armpits it is in both sides
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 4 hours later

I can understand your concern for these symptoms. As the pain radiates from the armpit to the elbow and is occurring bilaterally, it looks like nerve pain which is due to spinal causes like spinal nerve compression. Another reason could be spasticity of the underlying smaller muscles.

The spasticity of the muscles can be brought on by overuse or trauma to the muscle. Last possibility although less likely is of peripheral vascular disease.

You need to get MRI spine, nerve conduction velocity test and MR neurography and MRA (magnetic resonance imaging) of the vessels done. An EKG heart and a stress ECHO is also advisable at your age.

Once cause is identified treatment can be planned.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.