Are whitish tongue with 3 red bumps at the back and dry mouth signs of HIV infection?
I uploaded a query yesterday and received a response. I responded with further query to same problem but haven't received confirmation email and therefore decided to submit correspondence again:
1st message sent by me:
I had unprotected sex with a girl nearly 2,5 weeks ago and I doubt she is hiv positive, but not 100% sure. The sex was very brief as I couldn’t continue due to feeling guilty and I didn’t finish.
Since then I have been very worried about a hiv infection and have been google -ing and stressing like mad.
About 7-8 days later a cold started with sore throat, very runny nose, sneezing and generally feeling unwell. I’m getting better.
I did see a doctor 2 weeks after contact and he told me it’s very unlikely and he couldn’t see any symptoms. He told me that if I had acute HIV infection that i would be very ill, have swollen lymph nodes etc and he couldn’t see any symptoms and that I simply had a bad cold, but to get tested at 4 weeks just to be 100% sure. He also told me that at 2 weeks symptoms would be unlikely.
I now have a white-ish tongue with 3 red bumps at the back. I also have a burning sensation down my throat and I’m very very worried. Can this be due to stress? Is it acute hiv symptoms? Please help
Response received yesterday from Replied by Dr. XXXXXXX Jangid:
Not related to HIV.
Welcome to HCM.
You had unprotected sex with someone but the risk of HIV with single such exposure is very unlikely. The symptoms you have are due to stress only not related to HIV so allay the fear or anxiety related to HIV and move ahead in life. If still you have any doubt is there feel free to ask me again and I am here to help you out always.
Thank you for your previous response. I am however still very concerned and thought it best to give you all the details.
The potential exposure happened 19 days ago in the early hours of 27th December 2017 following a night out. The girl is a 27-year-old married girls and I know she and her husband are going through a difficult time. I’m of the opinion that this wasn’t the first time she has cheated, and I doubt she is HIV positive, but one cannot be 100% sure.
The sex was only very brief and stopped by myself due to feeling guilty and because the “entry” was uncomfortable. I have an ongoing previously diagnosed dry skin issue and was advised by the doctor to apply nappy cream to the foreskin when the area got irritated. In short it left a red bruise on my foreskin, but not a cut.
As previously explained I started getting a heavy cold about 8 days later and symptoms included lots of sneezing, runny nose, sore throat etc. I am getting better now, but I’m still feeling unwell, but some of this might be due to stress. Nose is still running a bit.
I’m still google-ing and it isn’t helping, but every time I see or feel something new I google and I’m going crazy. Please see below symptoms I’m experiencing and please tell me your thoughts.
1) I have a few (more than 2) red-ish bumps on the back of my tongue and my tongue is a little white
2) My esophagus is irritated and I’m aware of it when I swallow. Could it be ulcers?
3) My mouth is slightly dry especially when I wake up the last few mornings
4) My sculp is a bit itchy and I have a small very light rash (light red) below my hairline at the top of my neck about 3cm x 3cm. Not raised.
5) Still feel generally unwell, with a poor appetite, but this could either be from the cold or stress? I am eating. Just not as much as usual.
6) I have a small pimple (1 no) on my buttocks.
7) Every time I see something new I get a fright and end up with a sweat from stressing, but that soon calms down.
Further to the above, I did see a dr. last week Wednesday who told me to calm down as in his opinion:
1) I would have been very ill, and not be able to work if I was infected
2) My lymph nodes would have been swollen.
3) I would have had a bad rash
4) It is to early as symptoms usually only appears after 6 weeks or so
5) That in his opinion I simply had a bad cold
I am very stressed and nervous about this.
My wife and I haven’t had sex since September 2017 due to pregnancy. Our baby boy was born in October. We still haven’t had sex simply because she had a hard labour and needed some time to heel. No sexual contact between us and because of my cold I’ve been sleeping in a separate room since 5th January.
She has been ill tonight complaining about a sore tummy and vomiting. This is definitely not normal for her. She is never ill. Could it be related to my illness?
Please don't worry.
Thank you writing in healthcare magic.
I have read and see carefully your history and the pictures and I think that your symptoms are not related to HIV (ARS) but could be just a simple viral situation.In your tongue I cannot see anything unusual (not white of candida ) and the rash in the back of head could be just irritated because of itching .
You should know that related to ARS, symptoms generally appear 1-3 weeks from exposure to virus,
but, sometimes symptoms may not appear until 4-6 weeks.
In fact the most probably symptoms of ARS are fever, lymphadenopathy, faryngitis, diarrhea, headache and severe rash that are not similar of your symptoms.
Furthermore , if you have a doubt about the HIV situation of your partner I suggest, just to be calm and not to be stresed further , to do a 4 th generation HIV test after 4-6 weeks .
Your wife situation I think is not related to your situation but could be just a stomach flu or food intoxication. But I need more information about her to define better the diagnosis.
I hope my answer helps you.
Can I ask also, why is my esophagus so irritated and I’m aware of it when I swallow. Could it be ulcers? Also, I’ve had one visit to toilet with diarrhoea.
Believe me I want it to be no! I’m just experiencing symptoms I’ve never had and I’m very stressed.
My skin all over is very itchy.
The one visit to toilet with diarrhoea was on Saturday.
I have very low appetite.
My throat has been through a cold and was sensitive
This could be for other reasons.
Thank you writing back.
According your symptoms before we conclude as related to stres I think you should meet a gastroenterologist in order to define better the diagnosis ( most probably not related to HIV).
Furthermore you should know that even some autoummune diseases could cause symptoms similar to you.
I hope my answer helps you.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Will hiv infection cause white tongue
- Dry mouth bumps on back of tongue thrush
- Dry mouth and red swollen bumps on back of tongue
- Hiv infection and altered taste in mouth
- Hiv infection red eyes
- Red rash on eyelids hiv infection
- First signs of hiv infection
- Dry mouth with back pain
- Pityriasis rosea a sign of hiv infection
- Hiv infection and red lips
- Can HIV be contracted from biting someone on the clothing?
- Suggest treatment for fever, lack of appetite and loose stool
- Suggest treatment for persistent headache while on antibiotics
- Suggest treatment for recurrent malaria
- What does my IGG result report indicate?
- What causes lymph node swelling while treating tuberculosis?
- Can HIV be contracted through oral sex?
- Suggest treatment for red bumps on the vaginal lips and inner groin area
- Suggest treatment for severe sore throat and jaw pain
- Is HIV RNA test done 2 weeks post exposure conclusive?