Are vomiting, headache and dizziness signs of a concussion post injury?

Excellent

Question
Hello

My wife slipped and hit the left side of her head and a part of the face. 20 mins after her call she vomited. She had a slight headache that day but with no bruising. Next day the headache persisted but also no bruising. The third day her face started to show some signs of bruising and she was dizzy and vomiting with stronger headache. Fourth day the bruising was even more apparent and she was also in pain with nausea, vomiting, dizziness, severe headache. By this time we assumed she had a concussion. We went to the doctor today which is the 5th day and her doctor told her it was a concussion and sent her for an xray to rule out any fractures. My wife's temperature is 37.8 at the moment, not sure if she may develop a fever. She's been taking 600mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours for the pain.

Can you confirm that these are concussion symptoms?

Is it normal for bruising swelling and pain to be more severe 3 days after incidents ?

If her temperature goes up and she gets a fever what could this mean?

How long would recovery take?

Please note that it's been 5 days now since the incident .
Tue, 29 May 2018 in Head Injuries

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
THe temperature is consistent with her symptoms!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

Fever signals that there is an ongoing inflammation. Following your report of signs of bruising at the area of contact, this is consistent. This will be a low grade fever and will not go up to more than 38.5.

Her symptoms are consistent with a concussion. Pain and headache is as a result of the trauma to the skull and not the brain. Inflammation often take 7-10days for significant regression. I will recommend that she gets rest, continue Ibuprofen and add tylenol if headaches are any unbearable.

I hope this guides and helps. I wish your wife well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be. Keep me updated with her progress.