Are visible pulse strokes on the side of neck normal?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 9 Sep 2015 in Veins and Arteries
Question: I'm 30 years old and I can see my pulse beat on the left side of my neck and I don't think it is normal
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's quite normal. Nothing to worry about!

Detailed Answer:

Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern, and would like to explain that carotid pulse upstroke is easily visible in a large proportion of normal healthy individuals, especially in slender persons without short neck, and in hyperdynamic state (during physical exertion and psychological stress).

Left carotid artery is directly derived from the aortic arch so the transmitted pulse pressure is easily palpable and often visible.

As far as you haven't any clinical signs and symptoms of possible health disorders, there is nothing to worry about. So, just relax!

A routine medical check up on a yearly fashion is recommended (physical exam and some blood tests).

Hope to have been helpful to you!

Feel free to ask me whenever you need! Greetings! Dr. Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
Feel free to ask me whenever you have any health issue uncertainties!

Best regards,

Dr.Iliri