Are very low GFR levels indicative of kidney damage?

Dr. Hardik Sanghvi

Hematologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2019 in Blood Disorders
Question: 1) I am a 73-year-old male I have CLL in remission I take a monthly lab teat so I took the test and my Glomerular filtration rate, nonAfrican XXXXXXX was 56 creatine within normal range126 last month it was 111 and GFR 60 as it always been is this a problem

-------------------------------------------------------------------

2) I don't understand everyone in our family has a GFR of 60 it is the standard At Kaiser medical centre I belong to in California USA
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:

It indicates kidney damage.

Detailed Answer:

GFR of 60 to 90 indicates stage 2 kidney disease and GFR of 30 -59 indicates stage 3 kidney disease.

At GFR 60 we can say approx 50% kidney damage is there. Symptoms do not appear at this stage and this is OK with your age and history.

But please keep a close watch on kidney function test because the further reduction in GFR suggest further kidney damage and symptoms appears in the later stage. So consult your doctor and plan accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Brief Answer:

Please upload the copy of your report.

Detailed Answer:

Please send the copy of your report so that I can help you further. Because units, reference range, methods are different from country to country. So please send me your report.

I will wait for your report.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Hardik Sanghvi, Hematologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana