question-icon

Are urinalysis, abdominal and pelvic CT scan, cyctoscopy, and PSA test sufficient to rule out cancer?

Posted on Tue, 9 Oct 2018
Question: I'm a 53 year old male with type 2 diabetes mellitus.  I've been diagnosed with GAD,  depression,  2 inguinal hernias, obesity. In February 2017 I was urinating more than I thought I should. So I went into my doctor.  They found microscopic hematuria in my urine 3-10hpf.  They referred me to a urologist.  When I went to the urologist they did another urinalysis,  rectal check,  CT  scan of my abdominal and pelvic areas, cyctoscopy,  and a PSA blood draw. My PSA level was a 2. They said everything was normal. They found right lateral hydrothrophy of my prostrate.  That I had possible gallstones and a fatty liver. This reassured me for awhile. Then fear started creeping in that they missed something and I had cancer somewhere.  I started running to my doctor every other day.  I had about three episodes of syncope.  The hospital did 2 CT scan of my head, a lot of blood work and multiple chest xrays.  They said everything was normal.  My doctor said everything was normal and I was suffering from anxiety.  They put me on venlafixine 37.5mg.  They just upped it 5 weeks ago to 75mg . I start seeing a psychiatrist Wednesday.  I also had a colonoscopy two years ago and they said it was normal.  I had 1 polyp that they said had no way of being cancer. I've also had fatigue and back pain. The back pain has been off and on for years.  Here are my questions. 1. Do you think the doctors have done enough testing to rule out anything serious? 2. Do you think it's my anxiety? 3. Could the hernias, fatty liver, and gallstones cause the stomach bloating and back pain? Thanks for the help.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe (30 minutes later)
Brief Answer:

Consultation.

Detailed Answer:

Hello and thanks for your question.

1. Yes, they have ruled out cancer satisfactorily with the testing you describe.

2. Yes, you are having illness anxiety, a fear of having a serious illness out of proportion to reality. Venlafaxine should help with this. I also recommend weekly cognitive behavioral therapy.

3. No, these do not cause this kind of pain.

Hope I have answered your query. Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe, Psychiatrist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe (1 hour later)
Thanks Doctor. I will see a psychiatrist Wednesday morning for the first time in town. This anxiety has taken over my whole life. It's not a good way to live.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe (6 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Followup.

Detailed Answer:

You're welcome. I hope the psychiatrist is helpful!

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe, Psychiatrist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist