question-icon

Are trying to bite, sucking things, and drooling signs of teething?

Posted on Tue, 10 Jul 2018
Question: Hi,

my tweleve weeks old baby is trying to bite us on shoulders n neck, fingers , trying to suck n bite things she can....
I can feel kind of biting pain on my nipples during breast feeding too..she is drooling too

Can this be sign of teething? do babies teeth this early? how can i confirm this? is there anythung i should do to ease her?

born at 41 week
birthweight 3.8 kg
weight as on date 6.2kg
active baby

thanks
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar Jain (31 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Most likely a sign of teething

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking on this platform

Trying to bite, suck, putting a finger in the mouth or drooling all these can be there as signs of tooth eruption.

Teething usually starts at 5-6 months of age, but it can happen anytime between 3-12 months of age and that is considered to be normal.

Sometimes these signs can be seen well before teething and then it is a part of normal development.
The growth of the baby is also normal for age.

I won't get worried as the baby is otherwise active, taking feeds well and there are no other significant problems.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Pradeep Kumar Jain

Pediatrician, Cardiology