Are there specialized doctors to help quit alcohol consumption?

Dr. Soujanya

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 22 Aug 2018 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: Hi, i am male 28, a chronic alcoholic. I have been drinking for 10 years . I have tried everything naltrexon to acamprosate. I am desparte to quit but dont know how ?

Need help !

Is there any doctore specialized in treatment. I do want to try the disulfirum as i have high expectations but i dont havea prescription to buy the medicine neither do i know any doctor who prescripe this medicine.
Pls help
Answered by Dr. Soujanya 3 hours later
Brief Answer
You can try with Baclofen.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query and understand your concern that you wanted to quit alcohol.

I'm happy that you are well motivated to quit the habit.

You need to be detoxified first with Chlordiazepoxide along with supplementation of Thiamine injections.

If it is already done, you tried with Acamprosate and Naltrexone.

So, I would suggest you to go for Baclofen, which is better to reduce craving.

As far as Disulfiram is concerned, very good aversive drug which causes nausea and vomiting in an attempt or thought of consuming alcohol.

Anyway, I would suggest you to consult your psychiatrist (the specialist doctor you require), for prescription based medicine.

Hope this information would help you.

Feel free to ask any further questions.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Soujanya 27 hours later
Thanks for your valuable suggestion. Two more questions 1. what is ideal dose of baclofen to start with as i did a little reaserch and i found out that a very high dose (120MG) is effective in addiction treatment but it may also be side effecive so usually people start with 5/10 mg three times a day and gradually increase every 7-10 days ? 2. is taking disulfirum and beclofen together a safe idea ? as i want to try disulfiram really bad, have 1 pil of disulfiram every morning when my brain is logical and not traped like in the evening.
Answered by Dr. Soujanya 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Baclofen can be started with 10 mg thrice a day.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back,

I have gone through your query and understand your concern towards the starting dose of Baclofen.

It can be started with 10 mg thrice daily, and can be increased to 20 mg after one week. If it is not responding, then only we can think of very high doses of 120 mg.

It can be taken along with Disulfiram with starting dose 250 mg once a day.

So, both Baclofen and Disulfiram can be taken together, as Baclofen is anticraving drug, which helps in controlling the thought of consuming alcohol.

Disulfiram is aversive drug, which helps in hating alcohol consumption or causes nauseating sensation on the sight of alcohol.

But, be cautious with Disulfiram as it may cause some unpleasant sensations if you consume alcohol while on Disulfiram.

Those are flushing, redness, itching in the face chest pain, palpitations etc.

But nothing to worry, they will subside after some time.

Anyway, it is better not to consume alcohol while on Disulfiram.

Hope this information would help you.

Dr. Soujanya, Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana