Are there sexual side effects associated with long term use of opiates like opana or tramadol?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Are there sexual side effects associated with long term use of opiates like opana or tramadol?w
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...There are definitely sexual side effects after prolonged use of opioids.
Detailed answer...
Consumption of opioids in higher doses and for several months definitely leads to sexual dysfunctions in the person.There is marked tendency of erectile dysfunction in a person on longterm use of opioids.
There are various factors which result in erectile dysfunction.
One factor is suppression of testosterone which results in erectile dysfunction.
Another factor is depression caused by opioids which also contribute to erectile dysfunction ( ED ).
Another research suggests that opioids may have more direct effect on pituitary,the adrenals and the testes which result in decreased androgen production.
I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 16 minutes later
Is tramadol considered an opiate in the same class as norco or opana with the same sexual side effects?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 44 minutes later
As far as analgesic effects is concerned,the effect of tramadol is lesser than NORCO but as far sexual side effects are concerned ,both are same.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
How long does opiate use evidence stay in urine test results?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Most of the opiates are out from your system by 72 hours but it depends upon the person's weight,metabolic rate,
hydration,exercises etc also.
In any case,the opiates are out by maximum in 5 days and can be detected in urine till that time.
Thanks