Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Are there other drugs that can replace Budesonide and Formoterol?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 540 Questions
Hi, I have asthma and I use budesonide and formoterol. However these drugs are no longer a desirable effect. There is another drug that can replace or add it to the other?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Asthma, the therapy is a step up and step down as per the clinical state. I you do not seem to improve with those drugs, yes there are other groups of drugs available to top up to improve symptoms if that is the main concern. These include mast cell stabilizers, leucotriene antagonists etc. But, you would have to be reviewed which would suit you first. And this can only be possible with your prescribing physician.

Other possibilities are better drugs of the same class that you taking already. There are drugs better than formoterol and budesonide, so you should be fine soon with the change in therapy as advised by your doctor.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.


Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Are there other drugs that can replace Budesonide and Formoterol? 1 hour later
What betters drugs than formoterol and budesonide?
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

The regime that your doctor has in mind for you would be different for each patient, for instance your doctor might be increasing the dose of Budesonide instead of changing it. That also is rational.

So, it is for your doctor to decide which one works better for you.

I hope, this helps. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor