question-icon

Are there any surgical procedures for BPH?

Posted on Wed, 6 Jan 2016
Question: Iam a man who must be catheterized to empty my bladder. Is there any surgery to correct this problem?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil (36 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
You seem to have Enlarged Prostate

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have retention of urine necessitating to get catheterized to empty your bladder .

This is due to bladder outlet obstruction due to Enlarged prostate which is very common after the age of 60 years .

Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Cardiac work up and routine blood tests for sugar etc
4) Renal function test

Looking at the repeated episodes of retention of urine I would suggest you to get Endoscopic Surgery of TURP done to resect the enlarged prostate to make your urinary passage free from obstruction .

This is surgery carried out words wide with less morbidity and gives permanent cure .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist