Are there any side effects of long term usage of Vicks inhaler?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi doctor,
Does continues use of inhalers (Vicks) have any bad affects in the long run? I use it 3-4 times a day. Some days I don’t use it at all. Mostly I use it just after bath and before going to bed, because I feel the nose is blocked. I have been using the inhaler from last 1-2 years.
Most of the times my nose contains some small liquid (not a running nose). I exhale my nose with pressure when I have bath or wash my face, I get little dried nose liquid most of the times. Is this a problem?
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
The vicks Inhaler is harmless but do not overuse.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. The vicks inhaler is harmless but overuse of any substance is not good.

2. In so many years I have yet to see a patient in trouble due to vicks inhaler, but the decongestion can rebound leading to dependence and congestion.

3. You seem to have some nasal obstruction either due to DNS (Deviated Nasal Septum ) or nasal turbinate hypertrophy. Get a nasal examination done. Your doctor can then decide from the appearance of the inside of the nose which medication will work best. Regular steam inhalation, nasal saline washes and steroid nasal sprays help control these symptoms
A plain Sinus CT Scan can be done to check the sinuses if you have heaviness of thr head or headache.

4. The nose and sinuses are normally wet with normal secretions and the dried secretions signify some nasal airflow problem or inflammation.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad