Are there any routine tests to reveal stomach cancer?

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Wed, 7 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello,
I'm a 21 year old male that has been using chewing tobacco for about 4 years. Recently, I have been worried about stomach cancer. I had several EGDs (my last one being a little over a year ago). I was told I had esophagitis, GERD, atrophic gastritis and NSAID induced ulcers. No H Pylori was found. Should I be worried (my stomach still bothers me)? And should I be getting routine tests to make sure I don't get cancer? Thank you,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Discussion follows

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for your query.
It is well known that chewing tobacco causes cancer of the mouth and upper GI tract. So far you have not got cancer and therefore it would be in your interest to quite using all tobacco products. Your stomach symptoms are due to worry and inflammation resulting from acid and use of substances like tobacco.
Eat healthy wholesome food devoid of spices and acidic food, caffeinated beverages, alcohol and tobacco. You can use an acid suppressant like H2 blockers and PPIs.
Routine tests do not reveal if you have cancer or not. It is diagnosed by endoscopy and biopsy.
All that you require now is a healthy life style and your symptoms are likely to abate.
Do get back to me if you have further queries.