Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

152 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Are there any other medicines available other than Duloxetine for the treatment of myalgia?

Answered by
Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2011

Answered : 1623 Questions

Posted on Thu, 19 Jul 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have muscle and joint pain. Have been diagnosed with myalgia and take 80mg of duloxetine. But still suffer from pain, especially at night with interruption of sleep. I got here while researching the med diclofenec. Are there other melds, non opioids, that may help the pain?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
May need rheumatologist opinion

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, to start with alongwith duloxetine you can take OTC analgesics like acetaminophen or Ibuprofen. Diclofenac can also be helpful but for long term usage both renal and gastric saftey profile should be evaluated and antacids like omperazole may be needed alongside to avoid gastric side effects. Other potent analgesics like gabapentin can be used.

Though the cause work up should be continued alongwith regular follow up with a rheumatologist as myalgias are symptoms but are caused secondary to some other condition.
If it's polymyalgia rheumatica the control should be assessed by following the autoimmune profile and Inflammatory markers.

Other pain control medications like tramadol etc but may cause dependance. Supplements for calcium, D3, B12 and folic acid may also be beneficial.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on