Are there any other drugs other than Phenethylamine class for ADHD?

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in Mental Health
Question: Hello,

Is there any other drug other than phenethylamine class that I can use for my attention deficit disorder and improve wakefulness? In our country, we have the class banned for abuse issue.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Atomoxetine form NRI group is an alternative

Detailed Answer:

Atomoxetine/bupopion from NRI group is also used for ADHD and I use it very frequently. And for wakefulness armodafinil or modafinil can be used. Clonidine,venlafaxine and guanfacine can also be used for ADHD.

You can discuss about these drugs with your doctor and start the same according to your need.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.

Dr.Chintan Solanki.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 4 hours later
modafinil drugs are also not imported. does bupropion work as a stimulant?
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Bupropion can work like stimulant

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up.

Bupropion, a type of antidepressant that also acts as a stimulant. It is a norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitor. It blocks transporters for chemicals norepinephrine and dopamine, increasing amounts of both chemicals in the brain.
There are many case reports and clinical experience that it acts as stimulant. At present used as second line treatment for Adult ADHD.

Hope this answers your question.

Feel free to discuss further.

Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 31 hours later

I am taking escitalopram 10mg for last 5 weeks. I feel some stiff muscles sometimes like when I yawn. Is there anything I should be worried?

I really feel well on escitalopram, so I wish to continue, although that side effect is worrying me.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
it is side effect, if not go away stop the drug

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up.

Muscle contractions, muscle cramp, muscle spasms, muscle stiffness, muscle tightness all are side effects of SSRI including escitalopram. It occurs in 0.1 to 1% of patients.Jaw stiffness is due to the same. Due to stiffness when you yawn stiffening can be felt more. This side effect goes away in many patients with time and jaw stretching exercise. Take plenty of water, with deep breathing stretch your jaw and relax for 5 minutes 8-10 times a day. If you do not feel relief in a week and for you this side effect is very much uncomfortable ask your doctor to change the medicine.

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist