Are there any interactions between Luvox and grapefruit juice?

Dr. Vipul Prajapati

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I take 25 mg of Luvox nightly. I have not taken today therefore last took 24 hours ago. Tonight i drank the raw, fresh juice of half a grapefruit. I learned afterwards that grapefruit and Luvox don't mix well. Am I at any risk of having taken 25 mg of Luvox 24 hours ago and drank the juice of half a grapefruit tonight? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Vipul Prajapati 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to Worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,

Thank you for your query.

Not to worry about any interaction between Luvox tablet and grapefruit juice.

You are not at any risk for any side effects or any complication related to Luvox drug.

You can take 25mg of Luvox next day onward without any fear.

is there any problem you are having after drinking grape juice?

For your satisfaction you can consult your treating doctor once.

Awaiting your response.

Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Vipul Prajapati 14 minutes later
I was told grapefruit allows much more to enter the bloodstream to a possible dangerous level. I feel fine...maybe a little woozy.
Answered by Dr. Vipul Prajapati 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no need to woory.

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,

You are taking only 25 mg of Luvox and so not to worry that grape juice enter the blood stream to possible dangerous level.

little woozy may be due to your anxiety related to interaction between grape juice and Luvox.

it may cleared off with in a day..

Thank you