Are there any drug interactions between 222 drug and Clonazepam?

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Wed, 7 Oct 2015 in Mental Health
Question: Good Morning
July 2012, 3 yrs. ago, was operated for a "partial left knee" (left leg) + 10 days therapy (once/day). Then
6 more months in therapy at Hospital, once a wk. Since returning home (live alone). For 6 mos. and a half
everything seemed OK; suddenly February 2013, I fell 3 times/same night -asked for help by dragging my
left bottom to side door and many other falls after; was lucky as I never hurt myself. Long story! In August 24th, going to bathroom, had my cane and suddenly fell sideways and REALLY HURT MYSELF
ON CORNER OF WOODEN SIDE TABLE (upper back to lower back-bruised (parts of it)-Pain Unbearable.
It was 1:00 AM-Worst Part, I need help to get up. Finally Managed after over one hour to find a way and
somehow made it to bed (difficult)- Could not Lie Down except ... could not sleep for 4 nights. Then I
thought about taking (5th night) 2(222's) which helped and could sleep - 12 hrs-It took 3 weeks almost
before upper back got better but still had lower back, left bottom and eventually going down my left
thigh. So took 2(222's)before bedtime 4-5 am and up by approx. 4-5pm. SO, MY QUESTION IS: Could there have been an interaction with other sleeping pill (Clonazepam) of 15 yrs. Upon speaking to my
pharmacist, asked him if he sold "222's)- He replied:NO and added - 222's does not go with Clonazepam,
a medication for moderate depression 16 yrs. ago. NOW, Sept. 9th, when I came to get up, could not
as I had leg cramps, etc.Went on my commode 3 steps from my bed. BUT Sept. 9th, developed a SWOLLEN ANKLE (LEFT SIDE) and by 11 pm that night, left foot was red and swollen. Put ice for 3 days.
QUESTION: Was my pharmacist right in stating that: 222's does not go with Clonazepam (2 mg)-2 a day.
But I take one at nightime(late am) and often NONE during the day. NOW, TELL ME PLEASE: WHAT IS
THE PROBLEM WITH MY SWOLLEN ANKLE AND FOOT - last two days, top foot is red almost and it started to have "red spots" as well 2 inches up the leg. Much appreciated and much obliged. My grown up
children are very worried (Son working in Michigan) and Daughter (worst than Me, but will bring me
to a Walk-in Clinic today, Tuesday around 3pm, for evaluation by a doctor. Your URGENT REPLY IS
MANDATORY as I will be able to tell that Doctor that I consulted online an experienced doctor.
Many thanks! Name is XXXX from Ottawa, XXXXXXX Canada.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Potential drug interaction.Possible traumatic Osteoarthritis?

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam.

I understand your concern.

I have gone through your query in detail.

Yes 222 has definite interaction with Clonazepam

222- is a combination analgesic drug of ASA(aspirin) + Caffeine+ Codeine.

Clonazepam increases and caffeine decreases sedation. Effect of interaction is not clear, use caution. Potential for interaction, monitor.

Clonazepam and codeine both increase sedation. Potential for interaction, monitor.

Clonazepam has no interactions with ASA(aspirin).

So the net effect of the drug is increased sedation.

This can make you prone for frequent falls, causing musculoskeletal injury.

Your Pharmacist is unaware of these interactions and misguided you.

Pertaining to the swollen ankle and foot, the possibility of traumatic Osteoarthritis is very high.

This needs an intense evaluation of the joint.

I advise you to get an X-RAY of the involved joint in both AP and Lateral views.

An MRI scan of the joint can provide much better resolution of the joint pathology and can pick up surrounding soft tissue damage and latent stress fractures.

Further management is based on the test results.

Post your further queries if any.

Thank you.