• question-icon

Are there any differences in the efficacy of extended release capsule and tablet version?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: hello i have an essential tremor and take 160mg sustained release capsule once a day, any reference i find online with proponolol used to treat essential tremor the dosage is usually split and in tablet version for e.g 40mg tablet 3 times a day is there any difference in these two versions of the drug and would it effect how i am being treated for the condition
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Should make no difference.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

The extended release version means simply that the drug level is constant during the day. It is the same drug, but since it doesn't have the same highs and lows the normal version has, in theory it would be able to achieve the same efficacy with fewer side effects and without the inconvenience of having to take it several times a day.

So in my opinion you should not worry about the fact of taking the extended release version, it should be fine.

I remain at your disposal for other questions
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist