question-icon

Are there any alternatives to benzodiazepine drugs to control anxiety?

Posted on Fri, 31 Jan 2014
Question: I am a 61 year old R.N. w/ a lifelong history of severe anxiety and dysthymic depression. No underlying physiological cause has been found, however my symptoms persist, despite meds, (Zoloft and Xanax) in addition to therapy. Are there any safe alternatives to the benzodiazepine drugs to control the anxiety? My condition appears to be familial...my late German-born father suffered from these disorders, as well as his siblings.
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal (50 minutes later)
Brief Answer: treatment is balance of effects and side effects Detailed Answer: Hi, welcome to our site. I am Dr Saumya Mittal. Read your query. That is a very significant question and i appreciate your problem. I will try my best to answer your query They are two different category of drugs and they do have their own side effects. All the medicines in this group have their side effects and I am sure you know that. The plain fact remains that i these drugs, you have to choose between the benefits and side effects of the drugs. If the benefits of the drugs outweigh the side effects, you have to go for it. Suggest, watch liver functions periodically. I hope this helps you. Best of luck. I have given you the answer to the maximum considering the information provided. Please do understand that some details could be extracted from a detailed history and examination. Looking forward to your return query for help with any further details you may need to ask and if you need any help further. (If the answer has helped you, please indicate this)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist