Are the small bumps in ribs that are painful lymph nodes?

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I am a 50 yr old female and can feel several small hard pea sized lumps on my right side on & in between my ribs. I am in a fair amount of pain and my abdomen is quite distended. I do have a history of partial to complete intestinal blockages. I no longer have a gallbladder. Besides the right side pain I have been extremely fatigued for the past month or so. Are the bumps lymph nodes?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
They look like multiple Lipomas.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for posting in health care magic.
Lymph nodes are not seen between the ribs.Most probable diagnosis could be Multiple Lipomas.
As fat is present beneath the skin through out the body,It may get accumulated at few points producing swelling called Lipoma.
You should get an Ultrasound of the area and confirm the diagnosis.
If possible, one lump has to be removed by minor surgery and send it for histopathological examination.
These lumps have no relation to intestine or gallbladder.
If you come back with Ultrasound report, I will clarify further.
Nothing to worry.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj