question-icon

Are the ingredients of Oflomac M forte and Oflomac Forte similar?

Posted on Sat, 2 Jul 2016
Question: Hi ,

Oflomac M forte was prescribed for 5days to my 8months old baby,but noticed that Oflomac Forte was given instead. Will that have any significant difference ? Plz advise.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar (38 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Oflamac fort is sufficient for bacterial infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

Oflamac M forte contains oflaxacin an antibiotic and metronidazole an antiprotozoal (parasites).
You have mentioned in your history that stool examination is showing bacterial infection not protozoal (parasitic).
Oflamac forte contains oflaxacin which is appropriate for bacterial infection.So here I won't get worried.
Please consult your physician if there is any need of metronidazole also.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar (15 hours later)
Thank you for your quick response.attaching the stool analysis report just to be sure you have the actual data.Please check and suggest
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar (8 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Stool report suggests bacterial infection (dysentery)

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up

I have seen the report.Presence of Red blood cells,mucus,pus cells and bacteria in stool indicates bacterial infection of intestine (dysentery).
In most of the cases it improves with oral antibiotic. Fluroquinolone group of antibiotic like ofloxacin is good for such infection.
I would suggest you to continue with the same.
Give plenty of fluids with zinc.Observe for worsening of symptoms,persistence of loose stool or presence of XXXXXXX blood in stool.If you notice any consult your pediatrician.

Wishing for your child's speedy recovery.
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology