Are tender lymph nodes indicative of cancer?

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Tue, 9 Oct 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have seen an ENT doctor and my general practitioner and I have been diagnosed with GERD and was taking Prilosec but did not like the side effects so I'm now taking ranitidine. I believe the GEED is mostly under control but I do continue to have some indigestion and heartburn from time to time and sometimes burp uncontrollably for 5 to 10 minutes but that's not the issue that led me to the doctor in the first place. My question, the lymph nodes on the left side of my head particularly underneath the left jaw behind the left ear and behind the left side of my neck all have been swollen for months and never gone back to normal. The one under my jaw is a little tender this morning but I have had a CT scan and the results were negative for anything cancerous. What could be causing this and should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Lymohnodes from infections.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you using Healthcaremagic to post your health concern.
I read it carefully and I understand your concern.

The fact that your lympnodes are tender suggests an infection, so something not cancerous.

They may come from a skin infection (a wound, pimples, etc), ear infection, teeth or a mouth infection. So an infection of any of the structures close to the lymph nodes.

Of course, they should resolve within 6 months after the infection is treated. If not then the cause should be investigated more and especially consider their biopsy which is the final test and the best.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Klarida Papaqako, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T