Are temperatures of 52 Celsius safe during colonic hydrotherapy irrigation?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Sat, 2 Jun 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi,

I went for a colonic hydrotherapy irrigation today. The water got very hot, up to 52 Celsius, but for a short time only.

I felt uncomfortable, and it felt way too hot. But since then I feel fine,so far.

I am just very worried as I read that this temperature is way too high and can cause damage. I worry a lot about my health and now I can’t sleep thinking about it.

Please help.

Kind regards
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
BE positive & get anxiety relieved by discussing frankly with the expert.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Goolie,
Good morning & Happy new year!
Thanks for the query . I understand your concern.
Colonic hydrotherapy is based on basic that the irrigation of colons (high enema) with Mechanical & gentle flow of pure, filtered & temperature regulated water ... is a sort of bowel cleaning & is believed to be effective in removing toxins from colon without medicines.
I understand you had got it done under an expert care , who must have calculated the water temperature & regulated it according to your health need( It is believed that more the toxins in colon, lesser is temperature in colon & more water temperature is needed for irrigation... in such conditions you should not be scared & if you are discuss the matter frankly with the expert & get the anxiety cleared.
You are fine after the procedure. please be positive & also attentive to note any side effects(abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting,loose motions, changes in heart rhythm or urine problems). Be careful to consult your health care giver if you find any of adverse effect.
* finally in my view, believe your health care giver& be cool,at the same time be positive & attentive too!
I hope your query is answered. Any follow up query is welcome.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng