Are taxim- o, zincrosis and ORS the best medicine for loose motions?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: My daughter is having continuous loose motions for the last two days. Yesterday we took her to a doctor and he prescribed the following medicines
a. Taxim- o
b. Zincrosis
c. ORS
Is this the right medicine for loose motions. She is having fever in the nights. Otherwise she is active during the day and is having lots of liquids and basic solids
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later

It seems that your daughter may be suffering from enteritis due to food poisoning or due to ingestion of contaminated water.

Yes, she is being treated appropriately.

It has already been two days since she has watery stools, but it may take 3-4 more days for bowel to become regular. During diarrhea, there is loss of normal intestinal linings and enzymes. It usually takes 4-5 days for regeneration of these lining and also antibiotic to work. Improvement can be assessed by change in consistency or frequency of stool.
Stool reports may be normal in case of noninvasive bacterial infection as in your case.
I would suggest you to give antibiotic and zinc as prescribed by your doctor.
In diarrhea management, the main aim should be to avoid dehydration. So give her ORS about 200 ml each time she passes loose stool. Continue her feeding as before illness.
Also give her probiotic like enterogermina( containing normal gut flora) for 3-5 days as there is loss of normal gut flora during dehydration.
Give her paracetamol for fever when required.
It is good that she is active and playful, but be watchful if she gets lethargic,if her oral intake is not adequate or not passing urine.

As of now you need not worry, just take care of her to avoid dehydration.
But if you notice any of the above mentioned signs, persistence of fever or if stool frequency increases then consult your doctor for re-evaluation.

I hope this answers your query well. I will be happy to answer if you have any further query

Wish her fast recovery
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan