Are symptoms of a pinched nerve the same as a pulled muscle?

Posted on Thu, 8 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: What is the difference between a pinched nerve and a root lesion? Can a pinched nerve at c6 cause different symptoms than c6 root lesion?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms will be little different

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible.

As far as your query is concerned, both are different is the sense that if lesion involves complete detachment of nerve root then it will not have any sensation left in the area where it is supplying and both sensations and commands will be affected while in a pinched nerve can cause pains, parasthesias and numbness in the area where it is supplying but complete function isn't lost. Nerve lesions may be caused by trauma or during surgical interventions but pinching can be due to compression by sorrounding vertebral body or soft tissue over the nerve and is correctable once the offending cause is removed but complete lesion or detachment is difficult to be reversed.

Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin