• question-icon

Are swollen feet, legs and heart conditions related to each other?

Posted on Mon, 23 May 2016 in Heart Failure
Question: can sẃollen feet and legs that look like treetrunks over a period of 2months have anything to do with my several heart conditions?Please help me!!!
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as following:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that water retension for a long period can lead to chronic leg swelling and skin changes in the legs.

I would recommend consulting with your cardiologist for a careful physical exam and a cardiac ultrasound to examine your cardiac function and structure.

It is necessary avoiding salt and water intake through the day. Diuretics (furasemid) can be really helpful in reducing leg swelling. Optimizing heart failure therapy would help reduce leg swelling.

I would also recommend performing some other tests, to examine for other possible causes of water retention:

- complete blood count
- PCR, sedimentation rate for inflammation
- blood electrolytes
- kidney and liver function tests.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Greetings!

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 6 minutes later
are you going to answer me through an email?

I am worried.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

I already wrote my answer. We do not communicate by email on this site.

Here is my answer repeated once again:

I would explain that water retension for a long period can lead to chronic leg swelling and skin changes in the legs.

- complete blood count
- blood electrolytes
- kidney and liver function tests.

Hope to have been helpful!

Feel free to ask any other questions whenever you need!

Greetings!

Dr. Iliri

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist