Are swollen ankle signs of heart attack?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I take medicine for high blood pressure, plus Vitamin D an fish oil every morning. Even though I took my meds Saturday morning my BP right now is 153 over 83. My left ankle and foot are very swollen. What should I do?

Could the swollen ankle be a sign of a heart attack?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can you upload an image of your ankle for review?

Detailed Answer:
HI,

Swollen ankle is not a sign of heart attack. There is no reason to be worried about a possible heart attack.

I will suggest that you upload an image of this ankle for review. This way we can actually see what the possible cause(s) are for investigations and treatment. I will also like to know the different medications you take for treatment as there are others that can cause similar symptoms as recognized side effects.

To upload an image, simply click on the link to upload a file and follow the instructions. If this proves difficult, please send the image by mail to YYYY@YYYY and request that the image should be uploaded to your query.

I do promise to get back to you with more insights and helpful recommendations as soon as the requested information gets here.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 19 hours later
Just to wrap things up, during our discussion I also called my cardiologist. He recommended I go to the ER in case I had a blood clot in my leg. I did so. I was given an EKG, a sonogram of my leg, and X-rays of my ankle. They also drew blood for testing. All the results came back normal, i.e., I have no blood clot and I have no broken bones. Other than the swelling I feel normal. I will see a physician this week about the swelling.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Keep me posted!

Detailed Answer:
HI,

Am pleased with the initial evaluation and findings. Keep me posted with the outcome of your subsequent visits.

Thanks.