Are surgery and chemotherapy the best options for an 81-year-old with ovarian cancer?

Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist

Posted on Fri, 25 May 2018 in Cancer
Question: Hi i have an aunt who is diagnosed to have ovarian cancer. She is not here but doctors say that she must have surgery and chemotherapy as well. She is 81 yrs old. I wanted to know if this is the best option for him or not. I have her exam results if you wanted to take a look
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello dear. This is the best option

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. So in a case of ovarian cancer, surgery and chemotherapy provides the best results. However, as her age is 81, we must look at her physical condition if she is able to tolerate both. Only after that a treatment plan can be decided. If she is very frail, then surgery can be omitted. Alternatively, only oral chemo can be given.
Thanks and regards
Feel free to ask further
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D