• question-icon

Are stomach pain, constipation and fever symptoms of stomatitis?

Posted on Mon, 17 Aug 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hi. Our son has been complaining of stomach pain and headache for a few days 2 to 4. I didn't notice a fever as we are on vocation untill today when it was very high 103.6. Gave him medication 10 min later it was 104.8. Took hin to emergency room 30 min from where we are staying by that time the fever was down to 101 and completely gone another 15 min later. The doc listned to him and checked his abdomen and diagnosed him with stomatitis. After getting back home he threw up twice and complaining about pain around his navel. He also hasn't been to the restroom for 24 hours that i know of. Could the er doc miss apendisitis and should we drive back to er?
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It seems more likely to be a viral gastroenteritis episode

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to the HCM

I have gone though your question and understand your concerns. Since you had been on vacation and the symptoms have been over 2-4 days with sudden aggravation, this is more likely due to a viral gastroenteritis (gut infection). Appendicitis also presents similarly but with a definite tenderness near navel in right lower quadrant. I would recommend you to gently feel for any sharp severe tenderness on tummy of your child. If it is present, then it is advisable to go for an ultrasound abdomen to rule out appendicitis. Else, you may start him on below mentioned treatment for gastroenteritis:

1. Give him Acetaminophen for fever spikes at 15-20 mg/kg/ dose( XXXXXXX 500 mg) Repeat after 6-8 hours if fever persists.
2. Give an anti emetic such as ondansetron or domperidone for vomiting along with antacid such as Digene or ranitidine.
3. Keep him well hydrated with regular feeds and Oral rehydration therapy such as ORS, Buttermilk, Soups, lemonade etc.
4. Give him a deworming tablet such as Albendazole (400).

If you feel that he is not showing any improvement or the condition deteriorates, then take him to ER for clinical examination to rule out food poisoning or appendicitis.

Hopefully this will help you. I would be glad to answer any further questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician