Are stomach aches, indigestion, floating stools and back pain symptoms of pancreatic cancer?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in General Health
Question: Stomach aches with mild indigestion floating XXXXXXX stools sometimes mild back pain some stomach gurgling had a clean abdominal ultrasound clean blood work clean cat scan with contrast of abdominal and pelvic region a upper endoscopy lead to a gastritis diagnosis from my gastroenterologist still have anxiety of pancreatic cancer symptoms around for 2 months omeprazole does not seem to help
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lifestyle modification and stress reduction advisable.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone very carefully through your query. Your problem seems to be due to gastritis. This is associated with a problem of the gastrointestinal tract. Our gastrointestinal tract has a forward propulsive movement (peristalsis) that moves the food material forward as it is digested, absorbed and finally expelled as feces. If somehow this movement gets hampered, food along with the digestive juices would stagnate, stomach acid will reflux into the food pipe and on the other hand the bowel habits would not be proper. The floating stool indicates that it is fatty and therefore indicates that the fatty portion remains undigested.

In order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Continue to take Prilosec (omeprazole) once daily before breakfast.
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fiber intake.
* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* If I had a patient like you I would perhaps have suggested Prodep (fluoxetine) 20 mg tablet (long term anxiolytic and a prescription drug) once daily for at least 2 months (it may take time for the action to set in). Discuss about this with your treating physician.
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* Stress reduction has a very important role to play. Yoga and meditation should help.

Hopefully that should help.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 19 minutes later
You think the clean cat scan with contrast and clean abdominal ultra sound and clean blood work help rule out pancreatic cancer from these symtoms
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pancreatic cancer would have shown up on CT or ultrasonogram

Detailed Answer:
Yes, if you had pancreatic cancer it would defintiely have shown up on the CT scan or ultrasonogram. Since they are clean, you have no reason to worry. Consider the suggestions I have given and I hope that the condition would improve soon.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D