Are stitches required for a puncture wound inside the upper lip?

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018 in General Health
Question: I tripped and fell hitting my lip on the floor. I have a small puncture wound from my tooth on the inside of my upper lip. I put ice on it and antiseptic cream (neosporin) It stopped bleeding quickly. I did not bleed very much. The pain has gone away - do I need to go get a stitch
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

No, if the bleeding has stopped and the structure of tissues not changed

Detailed Answer:

Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

If the wound has stopped bleeding and the structure of the lip has not changed and it will not look cosmetically bad when will heal, than you don't need to get a stitch.

You can upload a photo in our system so I can have a look at it, to make sure that it doesn't need a stitch. To upload an image, simply click on the link to upload a file and follow the instructions. If this proves difficult, please send the image by mail to YYYY@YYYY and request that the image should be uploaded to your query.

If worse or not better, I would recommend seeing a local doctor.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
I did not go to the ER for this last night. It has been about 12 hours since the injury so will that affect whether or not I can get a stitch - will they refuse me.

Also, It's swollen right now so it's hard for me to tell if the structure of the lip has changed - I'm not sure what that means. I'm trying to get a picture. I'm going to have to get someone else to take it. I did not tear the lip. But my husband thinks the puncture wound may have penetrated my upper lip as that was bleeding too. I couldn't see the bleeding. I saw the wound inside - could have scrapped on the way down.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need for stitches.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the follow up question.

I saw carefully your photo.

It doesn't need a stitch. Just give it time to heal now.

Apply vaseline or natural lipstick, to keep it moisturized, and it will heal faster.

Let me know if you have other questions or concerns.

Dr. Papaqako
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 19 hours later
Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Thank you for guiding me through this process. The lip looks better today. It is definitely on the mend

Again, thank you for being there for me.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Glad to have been of help

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

I am glad to have been somehow of help. Good to hear that your lip is better.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Klarida Papaqako, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana