Are steroids safe to take post Rabies vaccination?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I RECEIVED LAST SHOT OF RABIES VACCINATION ON 15 MARCH2016. NOW I AM SUFFERING FROM ACUTE LARYNGITIS.I MAY NEED SHORT COURSE OF STEROIDS[DEFLAZACORT}.
IS IT SAFE.
BECAUSE LARYNIGITIS IT NOT IMPROVING .
IF YES IS DEFLAZOCORT SAFE
OR SUGGEST ME SOME OTHER DRUG
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please take steroids only if recommended as it has serious side effects

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. It is possbile that you might have a flu attack causing your acute laryngitis. Such an infection gets treated by itself in 7 to 10 days. Less commonly, a person can get secondary bacterial infetion in throat and that might require a short course of antibiotics recommended by your doctor.

2. Steroids have lots of harmful effects and you shouild not take steroids without asking your doctor. Taking steroids can affect your bones and decrease your immunity. Please do not take any steroids for your acute laryngitis.

3. There is no problem in taking any medicine if you have got last shot of anti rabies vaccine on 15 march 2016.

4. You have mentioned that you have taken antibiotics, paracetamol, serratippeptoidase and steam. I hope you have consulted your docor for medicine. If this has not helped much then it is probably a viral flu and can persist for a week ro ten days. Please do warm water gargle twice daily and eat soft foods. Voice rest is good. Do not smoke if you are a regular smoker.

5. If your laryngitis is not improving and worsening then please go back to your doctor and they might prescribe higher antibiotics for treatment.

Hope your query is answered.
Pleease do write back if you have any doubts.