Are steroids safe to take for laryngitis?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: From the last two weeks I am suffering from "LARYNGITIS". My voice is altered and suffer from BOUTS of cough with MUCOID discharge. I've tried antibiotics and conservative line of treatment. My doctor say that I may need a short course of STEROIDS (DEFLAZACORT). Last month 15/03/2016 I took last shot of Rabies vaccination. Now it is almost 25 days.
1. Is STEROIDS (DEFLAZACORT) are safe at this point of time, if necessary? Because STEROIDS are known to cause IMMUNOsuppression
2. If DELAZACORT is not safe can you suggest some other safe medicine for this condition (Anti-inflammatory)
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can take the steroids safely.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Get a Videolaryngoscopy done.

2. Laryngitis usually takes a few weeks to resolve.

3. Only laryngitis is unlikely to be a side effect of the rabies vaccination, that too after a month.

4. Steroids are the mainstay of treatment of laryngitis that is not improving.

5. Tab. Disperzyme (dissolved in water) twice a day for 5 days and Tab. Deflazacort 6 mg initiallly thrice a day for 3 days, then twice a day for 3 days and finally once a day for 3 days (tapered over 9 days) are safe options.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 41 minutes later
I mean to ask taking steroids after 4 weeks of rabies vaccination is permitted
sir
I came to know steroids are contradicted during rabies vaccination. but now after 25 days after last injection are short course of steroids safe. I am little apprehensive please guide. I will be obliged.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is safe now.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Yes, it is safe to take a short course of steroids one month after rabies vaccination.

2. Steroids should be avoided at the time of vaccination, but now it is safe.

3. Upload your Videolaryngoscopy report and images.

Regards.