Are steroids safe for children?

Dr. Meera Kotecha

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: My 21 months old son is sufferring from cough and cold since last 15 days. During this entire period his chest is found very clear. However, he is having running nose and occasional cough all the time. Hence, he has been diagonosed as allergic and given Budecort inhaler 2 puffs once at night, asthalin inhaler as SOS for acute cough and nasonex spray one spray in the morning. Alongwith that one levocetrizin dispersible tablet in the eveing at 7 pm. All this doses has been given for 3 months. Now my query is whether it is ok for given steroid to a 21 months old for such a long time?
Answered by Dr. Meera Kotecha 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
inhaled steroids are not harmful

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for using health care magic.
I can understand your concerns.

You have been prescribed inhaled steroids which are not absorbed in the body so they are not harmful.
They can be given to young children without much side effects.

Long term use may cause throat infections. If possible make him gargle after each puffs or make him drink water.

I hope I have helped you.
If you have any other query please feel free to ask.
Thank you
Dr. Meera kotecha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Meera Kotecha 25 hours later
In addition to the above medicine, my son is also taking Nexpro RD Junior, 1 XXXXXXX every morning. Still he is vomiting almost everyday after having his lunch. And this is the only time when he vomits whether he likes the food or not. please help with your valuable suggestion.
Answered by Dr. Meera Kotecha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
give solid food, domstal

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for the follow up.
In my opinion you should give solid and semi solid food and avoid liquids. Shift the nexpro sachets in the afternoon before meals. If not improved then give Domstal drops 3 ml before meals in the afternoon.
I hope I have helped you.
Thank you
Dr. Meera kotecha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj