question-icon

Are steroids harmful for the follicular lymphoma?

Posted on Fri, 20 May 2016
Question: Hi,

My wife had an allergic reaction to Cymbalta (insomnia), and Retoril (swollen tongue, lips) and yesterday, hives. We went to Emergency last night and they gave her 50mg Benadryl IM. She slept about 4 hours but the hives are still present.

She has been offered steroids twice now but she declined, fearing there may be a negative effect on her indolent follicular lymphoma, which is "dormant" now.

Is she correct?

Thanks, XXXXXXX for Ulla Kafaloff
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh (6 hours later)
Brief Answer:
no that is not a concern

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Follicular lymphoma is sensitive to steroids. So if steroids are given to indolent follicular lymphoma, the lymphoma may start melting a bit. But as steroid treatment for anaphylaxis is short duration, the extent of response may not be much.

After steroids are stopped, the lymphoma will gradually recover and go back to previous state. But not more aggressive than before.

Overall, I think she should start the steroids, provided the doctors feel it is required.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist