Owl Image

Are steroid shots safe to take prior to a cataract surgery?

Owl Image
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Question
Is it ok to get my steroid injection for my back today and still have my scheduled cataract surgery in seven days? I am 62 and in good health and not diabetic. I just had a physical one week ago and all is good.
Thu, 11 Jan 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not recommended

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns,

But I would not recommend taking the steroid shot before a cataract surgery as it might cause an elevation of your eye pressure . Unless approved by your surgeon it might lead to postponing your cataract surgery...

I hope I answered your question, feel free to ask further.