Owl Image

Are statins required if there is a family history of aortic disease?

Cardiologist
Question
I have recently had my blood work done, I am male , 48 years old 180lbs. My blood tests show Total 223, LDL 140 and HDL 65.... Triglycerides 93 - slight elevation from FY16. Dr just prescribed statins because of fathers history of aortic disease , he is 70. is this precautionary? if I start at this young age, it will be mandatory I continue - thoughts and thank you
Tue, 8 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

I passed carefully through your concern and would explain that when considering a strategy to control high blood lipids components, it is necessary to build a well coordinated strategy including several aspects of possible measures.

Before coming to specific lipid lowering drugs, it is necessary first to try a well tailored dietary profile (most advised being Mediterranean diet), controlling body weight and blood pressure values, and of course avoiding close smoking contacts.

In order to give a more precise definition of your future cardiovascular risk, it is necessary to coordinate your actual blood lipid profile, your blood pressure (systolic BP), smoking status.

As you are a non-smoker, and supposing you are not suffering from high blood pressure, then it may be concluded you are at a low risk of future cardiac events (around 1% in the next 10 years).

Coming to this point, I would encourage you to follow the above mentioned life-style profile for further minimizing the supposed risk.

In this regard, statins are not mandatory, but they may comply with the recommended strategy in case the lipid profile doesn't properly optimize.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

In case of any further uncertainties, feel free to ask me again.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri