Are sore throat and swollen lymph nodes after unprotected sex signs of HIV?

Posted on Sat, 6 Jun 2015 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi my name
Is XXXXXXX I had unprotected anal sex 2.5 weeks ago with no ejaculation from the other person I have a mild sore throat on its own. I can't tell if the lymph nodes are swollen as I can push on them and eat and swallow food ok.

Do you think this could by a symptom of HIV
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
STD likely

Detailed Answer:

That was a risky act.

Though it is not straightforward to say whether this is HIV or not but surely there is a chance of STD. HIV is a virus and all the symptoms you said could be result of viral transmission including Mono. HIV is part of Sexual transmitted disease. It is bright idea to take lab test sooner like P24 or PCR if you are bothered.

All in all you require examination plus treatment for sure. The swollen lymph nodes are significant so it is fair to get a local examination by a local GP.

Let me know I can answer other bothering questions for you.
Follow up: Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 1 hour later
Hi thank you for the reply, I'm not sure if the lymph nodes are swollen as they don't seem to be enlarge looking at then or hurt when I touch them, although I can not tell if try are slightly enlarge.

Yes was a very silly act but the sore throat has been present for about a week so I am worried it could be HIV I will get a test but thought I should wait for week 6 after the encounter for a better reading/ result
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 36 hours later
Brief Answer:
get tested now for other std

Detailed Answer:
Hi

You can get tested now for std and you can get pcr for HIV now. It is specific yet very costly. However you are right you have to wait for 2 more weeks for sensitive test called ELISAs.

You can get going now as waiting for two weeks will floode panic in your mind.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam