• question-icon

Are small whiteheads and ulcers behind the lips after kissing signs of STD?

Posted on Thu, 26 May 2016 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I got small whiteheads and ulcers behind lips after kissing girlfriend, could it be an STI or herpes or viral infection

Here's a picture

http://i.YYYY.com/ka60Wlt.jpg

They don't hurt besides a little pressure if I gnaw on the ulcer. Bumps on top ulcer next to finger on bottom. I had ulcers before after kissing this girl and now whiteheads popped up after I kissed her last night. I'm pretty scared, I dont want to contract this elsewhere or give it to anybody.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not herpes labialis

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am Dr.Kakkar (dermatologist and venereologist). I have gone through your query and I have reviewed the Image.

No. This is not herpes labialis. The white bumps that you see are actually fordyce spots and not due to herpes.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 10 minutes later
How do I get rid of these?

Why did it happen after I kissed someone and why do I also have ulcers?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fordyce spots are due to ectopic sebaceous glands and not due to kissing.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Fordyce spots (yellowish white, pin point sized, raised bumps), dont happen by kissing. These are actually ectopic sebaceous glands. They must have been their earlier. You may have not noticed them earlier. They are not of any significance and don't even require to be treated. However, they can be ablated with a CO 2 Laser.

The ulcer could be related to herpes. You mentioned in your medical history that you have herpes type 1? So this ulcer could be a manifestation of that.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 14 minutes later
I'm sure these started after kissing last night. My lip was completely clean with no bumps other then ulcers in the past. Three ulcers also showed up after kissing. Im afraid to kiss her again or anyone to spread these still. Could it be anything other then Fordyce spots?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be retention secretions of mucus glands

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Another possobility is that these could be retention secretions of mucus glands in mucosa which can happen due to duct blockage secondary to superficial injury e.g drinking a hot tea coffee or other similar trauma. In that case they are likely to disappear in a few days whereas fordyce spots are more persistent.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
That sounds true. I drink hot tea often but can't always tell how hot it is. Wouldn't it be around my entire mouth instead of just behind my lip? Could substance or an acidic drug do the same thing to my lip?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hot tea or coffee could cause damage to duct lining of mucus glands

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Hot drinks and beverages could be a reason for these lesions. This part of lip is usually the first to come in contact with hot tea or coffee and is prone to get damaged the most as compared to the rest of oral mucosa.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist