question-icon

Are small white spots on cheeks of an infant signs of vitamin deficiency?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016
Question: Hello sir,

My son age 14 months and he is having small white spot on the right side above cheeks. what could be the issue, is that due to vitamins deficiency?. could you please suggest something.

till he completes his one year we gave the D vitamins drop as per the doctor suggestion.

thank you. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Arun (18 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Probably pityriasis XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It would be more helpful if you can attach a picture of the patch.
Contact helpdesk for assistance in attaching photos.
Based on your description it could be pityriasis XXXXXXX which is a common skin issue at this age.
Usually no cause is identified.
It doesn't need much treatment except keeping face clean and moist with frequent washing and use moisturising lotions like dermadew.
Try deworming him with albendazole.
Multivitamins like zincovit drops at 1 ml per day is what I prescribe routinely for such patients in my clinic though it may not be directly relates to vitamin deficiency.
Wishing your child good health and speedy recovery.
Dr Arun

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology