Are small swollen lumps on the legs signs of enlarged uterus?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Women's Health
Question: I had pelvic surgery for uterine fibriods in February of this year. Shortly after, I realized my recovery wasn't going as well as I had hoped. I went back to the doctor who did the surgery and we discovered that she had accidentally left a fibriod that she didn't pick up in the ultrasound and that I also had adenomyosis from the surgery causing my uterus to enlarge to I think 17cm. I noticed a strange large lump on the back of my thigh with some surrounding edema that is better when compressed or after rest in April. I have had several doplar ultrasounds on both legs to rule out blood clots. Orthopedic doctors say it isn't a tumor or hematoma and they can't figure out what it is. Ultrasound tecs say the lump is visible but on any images they can't see anything significant. One doctor told me it wasn't a superficial thrombolitis or anything like that, that it would show up on ultrasound, but they did notice that I had some venous insufficiency in the left leg. Then recently I was moving something heavy and twited my other leg a bit, and notice a tiny similar lump in the other leg. Could I be injuring my legs but nothing is coming up on any advanced images, or do you think these lumps and swelling could be vasular related from the enlarged uterus or something else? I did have a pelvic MRI too and they did not tell me whether or not my leg veins were being compressed. What should I do? I also had a depo shot in May but it has been 3 months, and I don't plan to ever take that or any birthcontrol ever again due to side effects.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not related to enlarged uterus.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The small lumps on the legs are soft tissue swelling not related to enlarged uterus or a vascular issue. This can happen due to a direct injury to the area or a minor tear of the muscle fibres or minor inflammation. Since all the scans have come normal there is no need to worry. You can wait and watch for any change in size, pain or redness in the swellings. In case of any such change do get it examined otherwise these will gradually heal on their own.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The lump on the left leg has been there since early April and there is significant hardness and swelling, but nothing showing on scans. It isn't healing.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
FNAC can help.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If the lump is hard and persistent then it is best to get an FNAC done to find out the tissue of which the lump is made of. It will help in diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.