• question-icon

Are small itchy spots on arms and penis signs of herpes?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have small tiny dots on my arm and penis. The ones on my arm itches a little but nothing painful and the ones on my penis don't itch or hurt. I'm going to post pictures.

Is this herpes or something else ?
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Molluscum contagiosum most probably

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM...

I read history and saw photos. After that I could conclude that most probably you may be having Molluscum contagiosum. It is a contagious skin disease characterised by nonitchy,whitish,umbilicated,scattered papular eruptions. It is caused by pox virus.

It is not serious one. It is not herpes progenitalis. So, please do not worry. However, you consult the dermatologist.

After thorough examination and investigations,he might come to some conclusion regarding the diagnosis and its treatment.

I would suggest electrocautery of each lesion under local anaesthesia. Other mode of therapy are chemical cautery by trichloro acetic acid,cryotherapy and laser.

I would also suggest to take immunomodulator like levamisole for few weeks to few months to prevent the relapse.

I hope this would satisfy you. If you have any more query, you are welcome.

Thanks..

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ilyas Patel 1 hour later
Does this mean I have hpv or my girlfriend has hpv ?because she has the same dots on her neck and on her tongue.
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Molluscum contagiosum most probably

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back

Molluscum contagiosum is caused by one of the pox viruses- molluscipox virus. It is a specific virus causing Molluscum contagiosum. It is not human papilloma virus. It is different one. It causes other disease called wart or verruca.

So, stay relaxed. You and your girlfriend are not having hpv.

Molluscum contagiosum is not found on tongue. So, let her go to oral surgeon or dermatologist to have diagnosis for tongue lesions. The lesions on neck may be Molluscum contagiosum. Your dermatologist will confirm diagnosis after seeing her personally.

This might clear your doubt about your disease.

Thanks.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Ilyas Patel

Dermatologist