Are sleep pills or supplements a necessity to manage delayed sleep?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on 4 days ago in Mental Health
Question: Hi,

I am having difficulty going to bed, delayed sleep.
Could you please suggest a sleep pill or supplement.

Thanks,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Phenargan can be used

Detailed Answer:

I request you to provide following details.
1. How long the sleep problem is there?
2. How much time you take to have sleep after retiring to bed?
3. Do you have frequent night awakening? If yes, how long it takes to fall back to sleep?
4. Do you awake early these days in comparison to the past?
5. How many hours you sleep in day?
6. How many hours you sleep in 24 hours time on average?
7. Do you have any more symptoms? If yes, details please.
8. Have you tried any medication? If yes, details please.
9. Are you diagnosed with any medical or psychiatric condition?

I must inform you that if you find it difficult to answer all the questions accurately a one time option of phenargan 25 can be used for time being. It is over the counter medication and you will not need prescription.

I look forward to get relevant details to suggest you the best option as per your needs.

Wish you great health ahead.

Thank you.

Dr. Ashok Kumar
Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 11 hours later
Hello Doctor,

1. How long the sleep problem is there
around 4 years now
2. How much time you take to have sleep after retiring to bed
min half an hour
3. Do you have frequent night awakening? If yes how long it takes to fall back to sleep?
no, but if I get up then might take 15min to half an hour
4. Do you awake early these days in compare to past
no
5. How many hours you sleep in day
0
6. How many hours you sleep in 24 hours time on average
6-7
7. Do you have any more symptoms, if yes details please
no
8. Have you tried any medication? If yes details please
no
no

Thanks,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:

From the replies you have posted, it appears that there is a need to observe sleep hygiene before jumping into any medications. As I can see that the sleep duration is completely normal and there is no significant break in sleep which rules out the possibility of a sleep disorder.

For your reference I am posting a link for sleep hygiene practices which I authored few months back.

You are requested to go though it and practice them in religious manner.

In case you find any problem or you have any confusion I will be glad to assist you further.

The link to article is as follows
https://www.XXXX.com/article/XXXX/how-to-sleep-better-XXXX

Hope I have answered your query.

Thank you.

Dr. Ashok Kumar
Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng